Recipe: Wholesome Baked Eggs in Avocado
Eating well offers children with the daily essential nutrients to take on the activities in a day.
As busy parents, we understand that meal preparation should not take up too much time, while the quality of food offered to our children should not be compromised.
Avocadoes are some of the best first foods parents offer their babies who are ready to start on their solids journey. Young children and adults can enjoy avocados for its delicious goodness too!
Hailed as a superfood for its wholesome nutritional benefits, its creamy texture is mild tasting and perfect on its own, or paired with other ingredients.
So,… what’s so great about avocados?
Nutritional benefits of avocado for babies and growing children
Avocados pack a punch, beneath its tough exterior. These stony fruits boost a wealth of essential nutrients to support children’s development.
- Calories: Active growing children require calories for their daily energy needs.
- Omega-3, Monosaturated fatty acids: 60% of our brains are made up of fats, so healthy fats such as Omega-3 help support healthy brain development in children.
- Vitamins C, E, K, B6: Antioxidants promote healthy cell growth, and support bone health by increasing calcium absorption.
- Folate: Essential for red blood cell formation and promotes healthy cell growth.
- Riboflavin (also known as Vitamin B2): Helps body absorb iron and zinc, supports healthy nerve and brain functions.
- Lutein: Primarily found in green vegetables, and absorbed best when taken with a high-fat meal, supports eye health
- Fibre: Avocados are high in fibre, and promotes a healthy digestive system by preventing constipation.
Serving Avocado to Children
At six month old, parents may consider serving avocados to their babies. They can be served mash as puree and fed with a spoon (also termed as Traditional Weaning), or sliced up into wedges for children to self-feed (also termed as Baby Led Weaning).
Eggs are another wholesome food that is packed with proteins for growing children, and complement avocados to offer a new adventure of those young palates. How about enjoying both eggs and avocadoes in the same dish with this easy recipe?
Why are Eggs Good for Children?
Research suggests that eggs are a rich source of proteins and iron. This easy way of providing iron-rich foods might be an answer to help prevent iron-deficiency through food sources.
More than just the building blocks of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood, proteins are macronutrients that are required in relatively large quantities in children to fuel healthy growth.
Just like avocados, eggs are also brain food with doses of cholesterol, DHA and choline, which are vital for developing the various components of a child’s brain, including memory stem cells.
As with new foods, do monitor your child for allergy reactions. While avocados typically belong in the low allergenic foods category, eggs on the other hand, belong to high allergenic foods. Go for whole eggs if your child does not have any allergy reaction to them.
Let your child enjoy avocados with eggs, with this simple recipe!
Baked Avocados with Fresh Eggs Recipe
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 2 fresh eggs
- A sprinkle of Italian Herbs, or any other herbs that you prefer
- A sprinkle of salt or coarse sea salt (optional)
- A dash of black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven at 180deg. Pit avocado and slice into half. Using a teaspoon to remove some avocado around the pit area to make space for egg.
- Crack egg one at a time, either into a separate bowl or directly into avocado. Ensure yolks fit into avocado. The egg may overflow if the space is not deep enough. Add Italian Herbs.
- Bake for 15-20 min or until desired state of egg yolk*.
*Tip: For young children or pregnant women, ensure egg is fully cooked.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle some salt and pepper as desired.
This quick and easy baked avocado with eggs recipe is great for families who wish to enjoy a healthy and hearty breakfast to start their day. Nothing beats quality ingredients which support families in raising world-ready children as they prepare to take on new adventures!